- Two medium sized chayote squash
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 green chillies, crushed
- turmeric, salt to taste
- mustard, 1 red chilli, urad dal,
- curry leaves, oil for seasoning
- Peel skin of squash. Cube. Cook with a little water,
- turmeric and salt. When done yet firm, add coconut and
- green chilli mix. Pour seasoning on top. If there's more
- liquid it becomes kootu, if moist but not liquidy then
- Can do plaintanos (raw, green or, if not there, very, very
- green chiquita bananas) for a vazhakai poduthual/thoran.
- Also can do red pumpkin/butternut squash similarly.
- An excellent and quick ckakka thoran is also possible. A
- Thai canned product is green jackfruit, already cooked.
- Just shred this by hand, prepare seasoning in 5-6 tbspns
- oil and toss crushed coconut and green chillies in. Salt.
- Stir well and remove when thoroughly heated thru and
- still moist. This dish needs a fair amount of coconut, and
- the fresh one is preferred.