- One Bhima eggplant
- 3 tspns urad dal
- 3-4 red chillies
- a litle asafoetida
- ½ tbsp tamarind paste
- salt to taste
- oil to fry dal
- Wrap eggplant in foil nicely and keep inside a 400 deg
- oven for about 45 mins or until soft. Alternately you
- could broil it over a gas flame till it gets evenly charred.
- Cool and peel off skin. Drain of any juices. Chop into
- large bits.
- Fry dal, red chillies and asafoetida in oil till brown. Drop
- into a blender, add tamarind, salt and some of the
- eggplant. Run the blender on low speed till coarsely
- blended. Add remaining eggplant and whir for one
- minute. Scrape out and serve.
- Other Thogyals/Chutneys
- Substitute lightly sauteed onion/zuchini/canadian (hot
- house) cucumber in above recipe for a variety.