- 6½ Pounds Green peppers
- 12 Basil leaves
- 4 Cup White−wine vinegar
- 4 Cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 4 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Clove Garlic, cut in half
- 4 Clove Garlic, chopped
- 3½ Ounce Capers
- 7 Ounce Canned anchovy fillets
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Wash, core and seed the green peppers and cut into long thin strips. In a
- deep casserole, put both vinegars, the sugar, salt and halved garlic cloves.
- Bring to a strong boil, then add the green peppers and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the liquid and place on paper towels to dry. Put a
- layer of green peppers into a glass jar and cover with some chopped garlic,
- a pinch of capers, a few small anchovy pieces and a few basil leaves. Add a
- second layer of green peppers and repeat the process until all the
- ingredients have been used. Top with basil. Add fresh oil, a little at a
- time, pressing the jar contents down with your fingers to force the oil well
- down into the jar and thoroughly coat all the ingredients. At least ½−inch
- of oil must cover the top and any air pockets must be eliminated. Seal the
- jar hermetically and store in a cool dark place for 20 days.