- Soaked tamarind about the size of a large lemon
- 1½ tbspn jaggery
- 2 tbspns sesame seeds roasted dry
- 6-8 green chillies, slit into two (more, if it isn't hot)
- 2 inch ginger cut into thin strips
- 1 tspn mustard seeds
- 1 tspn chana dal
- 3-4 tbspns oil, preferably sesame
- good pinch asafoetida
- pinch turmeric
- curry leaves
- Squeeze out the pulp from the tamarind. You can add a
- little fresh water each time to extract the pulp. When you
- have a about a small bowl full, set aside.
- Warm oil, season with mustard seeds first. When they
- start to pop throw in red chillies, chana dal, asafoetida
- and curry leaves. When dal turns red, add the green
- chillies and fry. Throw in the ginger, add tamarind extract
- carefully, a pinch turmeric, salt to taste and jaggery.
- Simmer on low heat till raw smell disappears and the
- sauce has reduced to one-third or thickened yet spoonable.
- Crush the roasted sesame seeds with a rolling pin on
- paper or in a spice mill rather coarsely. Add this at the
- end to the pulikacchal Mix well so there are no lumps.