- 1 large or 2 medium cucumbers
- 3 tbsps oil (sesame, if you have it)
- 1 tspn black mustard seeds
- 1 tspn white urad dal
- ½ tspn fenugreek (methi)
- 2-4 dried red chillies
- ½ tbsp tamcon paste
- a good pinch asafoetida
- salt to taste.
- Peel cucumber, slit into half, scoop out seeds. Slit into
- further narrow strips and cut tiny pieces as for
- kachumbar. Should not be grated as this gives no 'bite'
- feel in the mouth.
- Next, warm the oil and fry all ingredients except the
- tamarind. Mustard should stop spluttering and dal/methi
- should turn brown. Drain out these fried spices into a
- blender, leaving oil behind in pan.
- Add cucumber and stir fry for two mins, no more.
- Add tamcon to spices in blender and with half the
- cucumber run on low speed till everything looks coarsely
- ground and blended. Remove into a bowl, add remaining
- cucumber pieces and mix well.